The power of scent is a remarkable thing. It invokes such strong feelings that once you associate a particular smell with a certain emotion (think of the feeling of warmth and security associated with Mum’s fresh baked cookies!), simply smelling it in the future can evoke those same emotions.
But the power of scent doesn’t end there! It can actually benefit our health! Our sense of smell can actually connect to the brain and affect our mood and sense of well-being!This is the premise behind Aromatherapy.
Aromatherapy utilizes essential oils, also known as plant hormones. The inhaled aroma from these oils stimulates the limbic system in the brain. The limbic system is a region that influences emotions and memories and is directly linked to the adrenals, pituitary gland, the hypothalamus, the parts of the body that regulate heart rate, blood pressure, stress, memory, hormone balance, and breathing. This makes the effects of essential oils immediate in bringing about emotional and physiological balance.
The array of essential oils that are available is almost mind-boggling, and each has its own healing properties, such as anti-bacterial, antiviral, diuretic, vasodilator, tranquilizing, and adrenal stimulating.
A Quick Pick-Me-Up
- 1 drop eucalyptus essential oil
- 2 drops geranium essential oil
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
Take it Down a Notch
- 2 drops bergamot essential oil
- 1 drop frankincense essential oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
1. Fill a mini spray bottle with 4 ounces of pure distilled water.
2. Carefully put the selected blend of essential oils directly into the spray bottle.
3. Shake vigorously to combine.
Be sure to shake it before each use, as the water and essential oils tend to separate.